Top Menu

2018 Awards for Excellence Winner – Marine Fabrication

Douglas Auto and Marine Upholstery                                                                                    

Project name:  Catamaran Canopy and Covers              

Fabric used: Boatmaster

Fabric Supplied by: Reid & Twiname

 

What did the client request?

Having just purchased the boat, the customer found the canopy too low for him so need it raised. To protect boat and engines when not in use he wished to have a road/storage cover and motor covers made.

What is unique or complex about the project?

We utilized where we could his existing frame and modified it to increase the height to allow him to stand unimpeded at the wheel. We photographed the frame and, using a CAD programme, drew in the new cover style and emailed it for his approval. Once he confirmed he was happy with the design we proceeded to make the new canopy and clear screens.

2nd was to make the road/storage cover which was cut and shaped to fit. As this boat was quite broad we used 2m wide canvas to minimise joins. The cover was reinforced using PVC where required to protect rub points .

We secured it to the boat by way of a draw cord in a pvc pocket and bungy ties as along the side there was minimal lip to secure the drawcord under.
3rd were the motorcovers which were cut and shaped to fit the engine profiles, with zips to close once fitted. We added high vis panels to the motor covers to increase visibility – this particular material has night time reflective properties.
What were the results of the project?

We utilized where we could his existing frame and modified it to increase the height to allow him to stand unimpeded at the wheel. We photographed the frame and, using a CAD programme, drew in the new cover style and emailed it for his approval. Once he confirmed he was happy with the design we proceeded to make the new canopy and clear screens.
2nd was to make the road/storage cover which was cut and shaped to fit. As this boat was quite broad we used 2m wide canvas to minimise joins. The cover was reinforced using PVC where required to protect rub points .


We secured it to the boat by way of a draw cord in a pvc pocket and bungy ties as along the side there was minimal lip to secure the drawcord under.


3rd were the motorcovers which were cut and shaped to fit the engine profiles, with zips to close once fitted. We added high vis panels to the motor covers to increase visibility – this particular material has night time reflective properties.

 

web services by Chris Mole Media